Monday, May 19, 2008

Highlands movie

Thrice now I've sent students to Scotland on self-designed field study trips, once from the University of Montana, and twice from Unity. But I really want to take them myself, so I can spend time in the western Highlands in the wind and rain and sun (in that order of frequency!) and live the lifestyle I used to live a little. I particularly enjoy the remote islands and peninsulae, and have spent a lot of time in years past in places like Raasay, Erraid, and Knoydart. This was one reason for our recent visit -- to scope out field study sites.

Unfortunately, the carbon produced by air travel makes this kind of field study increasingly irresponsible, but maybe there's a way using offsets...

This movie shows Hugh Piggott, one of the correspondents students have met with in years past, on the Scoriag peninsula, building a wind turbine with an informal group of students. The videographer manages to catch the lifestyle of the Highlands so very well, it made me nostalgic.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/video/2008/may/19/wind.powered.community

No comments: