Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Gunning for who?

Some of my gun-nut former students, the ones' I'm pretty sure are not die-hard Trumpers or white supremacists or I wouldn't bother with them, are making jokes and bragging about ammunition stocks and guns. Really dude? The whole country just experienced the worst attack on democracy since the war of 1812, led by Trumper gun-nuts and violent extremists. Great timing, bro. How do you think the women and children that see your FB feed feel about this? How might they feel about you? What about the possibility that they mis-read you and decide you are one of the insurrectionists? Maybe report you to the FBI? And in general, isn't it time to fucking grow up? I was in the military. I helped save lives and win wars, mostly by doing what I was told. Then I got over it and had a whole other life doing other cool stuff. I don't need to play GI Joe in my head. (My real and far more manly job is to make things safe for my kid to play fairies in her head.) So why do you? What is it that's missing here? I'm asking for your sake.


(BTW, I should have said the worst attack on democracy since the Civil War. It was the worst attack on the Capitol since 1814.)

No comments: