Saturday, October 29, 2022

From the alumni page

These things have a habit of disappearing. This way I can hold on to them.

"I am most definitely not here to attack any individual, but let me share my perspective. My husband went to the old Unity in the late 70’s and it changed his life. I followed him here and later taught as an adjunct after I earned my MFA. We settled in Unity as a result of the incredible interaction between the college and the campus. We went to the Performing Arts Center for music, theater, lectures, and art. We held field days in Field of Dreams. I had Unity students in my science classroom up the road, for ITL experience. My kids checked out books at Quimby Library where I later donated my library of 5000 books. My husband became an administrator for NRCS and was able to hire other alums. We live just down the road and I drive past the sad, empty campus everyday. The lively interchanges at cross track are no more. The Cheeseman farmhouse has been sold, and I would think the original founders would be rolling in their graves. I always expected that both my sons would attend Unity. No way; they attended campuses that were IRL communities. My youngest, now at UMFarmington, had 100% in-person classes all throughout the pandemic. The value of the loyalty to the old Unity College is priceless. It has been squandered. There is a place for online classes, and I was a non-trad student and get it. But it shouldn’t be called Unity College. Melik traded in a shining diamond for a piece of dirty coal. He stole a name, a shared identity, from many people and that is why we are so upset. Enrollment data can be manipulated, as all data can, to infer what is not reality. Trust is lost. I worked with a middle school guidance counselor once who got his degree 100% online at Liberty University. You can imagine the result: bad. Taking the salary while the kids’ real needs went unmet. My husband, on the cusp of retirement, decries the lack of practical IRL knowledge of young hires. They are great with the tech but don’t have a clue on the landscape, so they struggle to gain the confidence of clients. Zoom school, for us teachers and students was a sham, as test scores are now revealing."

No comments: