Energy for ME
Position Opening: Youth Activities Coordinator
The Island Institute is seeking Youth Activity Coordinators to participate in the implementation of the Energy for ME Summer Institute (July 28 through August 2, 2013) to be held at the Schoodic Education and Research Center in Winter Harbor, Maine.
Energy for ME is an energy education program of the Island Institute, involving ten island and coastal communities. Students in grades 6-12 – and their families – are learning how to better understand their communities’ energy-consumption habits, and implications, as well as how to develop effective strategies to increase energy efficiency. To do so, they are using eMonitor energy meters to measure electricity usage at several different access points, including homes, schools and public buildings.Based in Rockland, Maine the Island Institute is a non-profit organization that has served for over twenty-five years as a voice for the balanced future of the islands and waters of the Gulf of Maine. We are guided by an island ethic that recognizes the strength and fragility of Maine's island communities and the finite nature of the Gulf of Maine ecosystems. Along the Maine Coast, the Island Institute seeks to:
· Support the islands' year-round communities;
· Conserve Maine's island and marine biodiversity for future generations;
· Develop model solutions that balance the needs of the coast's cultural and natural communities;
· Provide opportunities for discussion over responsible use of finite resources, and provide information to assist competing interests in arriving at constructive solutions.
Position responsibilities are:
- Assist in providing student leadership and community organizing training for students
- Provide student participants with activities for evening and open times
- Collaborate with Island Institute staff to create a schedule for students activities
- Mentor students on career and college aspirations where appropriate
- Support Island Institute trainers and coordinators as needed
The successful candidate must have the ability to work well with a team and follow through on assignments in an accurate and timely manner. It is important for this person to communicate and work effectively with a wide array of individuals and be able to prioritize and handle numerous functions within an effective workflow. This position will require overnight stays at the Schoodic Education and Research Center (SERC) in Winter Harbor, Maine during the nights of July 28, 29, 30, 31 and August 1, 2013 and to be available throughout each day beginning at 11:00 a.m. July 28 and ending at 2:00 p.m. on August 2.
The ideal candidate will have past experience with middle and high school students in a camp setting. First aid certification is highly recommended.
This position offers free room and board at SERC during the Energy for ME Summer Institute. A $500 stipend will also be provided.
Please submit applications and/or questions to: Sally Perkins, Island Institute Programs Associate
PO Box 648
Rockland, ME 04841
Phone: (207) 594-9209 ext. 103
Applications must be submitted by May 15th, 2013