> Hello Dr. Womersley,
> We met briefly at the carbon challenge event. I wanted to pass along my
> contact information in case you have any questions about our programs at
> Hannaford. If you'd like information on our locally grown program, I'd be
> happy to put you in touch with the program coordinator.
> I also wanted to pass along to you the internship description below. We're
> currently looking for a college student with a background in environmental
> science to fill a composting internship this summer. If you know of any
> students who may be interested, please feel free to send them my way.
> Best regards,
> Megan Hellstedt
> Environmental Sustainability Manager
> Hannaford Bros. Co.
Internship- Composting and Recycling
Hannaford Bros. Co.
Corporate Headquarters - Scarborough, Maine
This is a full-time paying internship position for a student enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program. Beginning in May, it is anticipated that the duration of the position will be three months. Reporting to the Environmental Sustainability Manager, the overall focus of the project will be improving food waste recycling (composting) programs at Hannaford. The intern will be exposed to existing food waste recovery programs at stores, assist with program improvements, and work toward adding new compost programs. Specifically, the intern will be responsible for evaluating the potential for composting food waste from our corporate cafeteria and developing a plan for zero-waste events (to be tested at the Hannaford Associates summer barbecue). The project may involve messy operations - including weighing and tracking food waste from retail stores. Occasional travel is required as well.
Key deliverables will be include the following:
• Waste audit of 1-2 Hannaford stores
• A tested plan for implementing composting at the corporate cafeteria
• Zero-waste plan for corporate events
• Enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program in Environmental Science, Biology or similar
• Strong academic performance, minimum GPA 3.0 strongly preferred
• Previous experience with composting and recycling program development is desirable
• Demonstrated research and analytical skills
• Solid computer skills; proficient with excel spreadsheets
• Clear and effective communicator (with a variety of colleagues at all levels)
• Solid interpersonal skills
• Valid driver’s license and the ability to travel occasionally
• Demonstrated leadership abilities and strong initiative
To apply, please email cover letter, resume (including gpa) to:
Cathy Nugent, Strategic Staffing and University Relations
p: 207-885-2603 or 800-442-6049 ext. 2603
Hannaford is a team of 27,000 associates delivering a great supermarket shopping experience. Founded in 1883, Hannaford operates more than 161 stores in the northeastern United States and benefits from an industry-leading supply chain. We create value through everyday low prices, passion for food and best practices. Hannaford is our region's largest certified organic supermarket, a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Merit Award winner for our sustainability practices and ranked among the best employers nationally for supporting healthy lifestyles among our associates. Hannaford is a part of the Brussels-based Delhaize Group (NYSE:DEG), a global food retailing leader with $17.3 billion in annual sales.