Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Request for data

Students interested in how our CO2 emissions compare to other institutions may be interested in this correspondence with another university representative:

Hello Keith:

I'm glad you enjoyed the presentation. The data you refer to comprised estimated CO2 emissions for about 20 plus colleges and universities, which was were gleaned from the various reports that colleges had published on the Internet at time of writing. In each case, the date were adjusted to reflect per-capita emissions. Attached is a spreadsheet with links to the original published data.

Although these estimates were the best available at the time (8-9 months ago), the ACUPCC is collecting up to date data, which (only in the last two weeks) has become available on their web pages, particularly,

http://www.aashe.org/pcc/report
s

And

http://www.aashe.org/resources/ghg_inventories.php


I would expect you would want to use the up-to-date data.

Mick

http://ucsustainability.blogspot.com/


-----Original Message-----
From: Crawford, Keith
To: mickatum@aol.com
Sent: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 2:57 pm
Subject: Metric Benchmarks?

Dear Mick,

I greatly enjoyed your presentation during the ACORE HEC meeting in November. I am sorry that I didn’t have the opportunity to talk to you afterward. You are clearly leading the way in creating a renewable future at Unity. I am hoping you can help provide some guidance to me.

As you can see in the attached document, I am making the case for eco-effectiveness investments at UVA’s Darden School of Business to create a zero waste and carbon neutral institution. In order to access our current resource use, recognized benchmarks from peer institutions are valuable. Within your PowerPoint presentation, you provided a graph that listed “Campus Climate Emissions” for a number of colleges and universities. Are these statistics and standards readily available? If so, could you guide me to where I can access the statistics? Similar benchmarks for energy use, water use and waste generation would also be extremely helpful.

I hope to see you again at WIREC 2008 in March.

I appreciate any guidance that you can provide.

Thanks,
Keith

Keith A. Crawford, AICP, LEED AP
Darden School Facilities Administrator
University of Virginia

No comments: